The Administration of Agricultural Technical Services (ASTA) is part of the Ministry of Agriculture, Viticulture and Consumer Protection.
The ASTA is in charge of agriculture-related controls and services in Luxembourg. Its role is to provide the tools, information, services and controls necessary for the creation and maintenance of an agricultural, horticultural or viticultural business in Luxembourg.
Its services include the creation of information brochures, providing weather information, soil analyses and controls of products resulting from agriculture and livestock farming.
In the context of international trade, the ASTA is in charge of the certification and control procedures applicable to the import and export of plants, plant products, organic products and feed in Luxembourg as well as their movement within the European Union (EU). The ASTA is the competent authority for the plant protection issues in Luxembourg.
The ASTA is thus responsible for the formalities related to seed potatoes, foodstuffs of plant origin and wood packaging material. The ASTA issues the phytosanitary documents (certificate, passport, communication document) required for the circulation of these goods.
The ASTA is the competent authority for issuing non-GMO certificates for seeds, seed potatoes, plants and animal products (milk...).
The ASTA is in charge of the following inspections:
- inspection of plant and plant products at import
- inspection of organic products at import
- inspection of plant and plant products at export
- control of feed
- quality control.
The Administration of Agricultural Technical Services is responsible for issuing the following certificates and permits:
- phytosanitary certificate for the export or re-export of plants, plant products and wood
- plant passport for the transport of plants and plant products within the European Union
- intra-EU phytosanitary communication document to transport plants and plant products within the European Union in order to export them to third countries
- CITES permit for the import or export of protected plant species
- letter of authority for the introduction or movement of plants and plants products for trials or scientific purposes
- health certificate for the export of feed
- non-GMO certificates.
Some requests for certificates can be introduced to the ASTA with MyGuichet.lu, the State plateform to complete administrative procedures online.