Luxembourg is the 6th largest freight airport in Europe allowing global air-cargo connectivity.
The ultramodern freight center of the Luxembourg Airport has a capacity of 1.2 million metric tons per year.
Its principal assets are the following:
- short transit times
- fast customs declarations procedures
- presence of the main logistics operators
- a high level aircraft maintenance center
- solid expertise in the transport of special goods, pharmaceutical and life sciences products.
The volume of its long-haul freight makes it a major hub for electronic products and high technology. Exported freight represents 54% of traffic and the remaining 46% are constituted by imported freight.
The airport presents the following characteristics:
- a 4,000-meter long, 60-meter wide runway equipped with ILS IIIb category, operational in all weather conditions
- Boeing 747-8F compatibility
- no slot constraints
- a specific cargo ramp that provides simultaneous loading/unloading of 12 high-capacity aircrafts
- a free zone created in 2014 for unlimited-time storage, handling, management and exchange of valuable goods with suspension of VAT and customs duties
- modern and efficient infrastructures guaranteeing an unbroken cold chain
- a specific center for pharmaceutical and healthcare products (from -30 to +25 °C)
- a veterinary station certified by the European Union
- an area for oversize goods
- an area for dangerous goods
- a center for perishable goods.
Finally, the airport offers particularly attractive terminal and landing fees to encourage efficient and low-noise aircraft traffic.